Monday, September 10, 2007

Hello, Tucson!

I have finally made it to Tucson! This morning is the first time that we have had internet access at the house, which has actually been nice in a way. Not having internet or TV in the house for the first week has allowed the group in our house to get to know each other and bond in a way that would not have been possible otherwise. There are 7.5 of us in the house... Leisha lives in Mexico during the week, but spends her weekends in Tucson. We have gotten our bikes and have been biking around town to get things we need for the house and to make runs to the grocery store. It's amazing how much food 8 young adults can go through in a day! I have a roommate from Springfield, IL named Sean. The house we have inherited is... querky. We are committed to using as few resources as possible during the year. There is a solar heated shower, a swamp cooler (instead of a traditional AC unit), no heating system, a plumbing system known as gray water in which water that is not used for drinking or in the toilet is used several times before going to the sewer, and almost everything is either recycled. Our living room is painted in several southwestern desertish colors and there is a woman named Terry who lives in a small house in our backyard who shares our kitchen every so often. I will write later about my volunteer placement at Community Home Repair Projects of Arizona (CHRPA). Even as I sit here my housemates are hanging out in the common area discussing the exciting and anxiety-inducing parts of their days and placements. Already this week I have met some really amazing people and have seen genuine pain and need in the city. I feel like those experiences over the past week will be another post in themselves. I'm still adjusting to the city, the HEAT (though it's a dry heat...) and finding my way around town on the bike. There will be more to come soon enough, and I'll be posting pictures soon as well. Buenas noches, amigos!

No comments: