Saturday, October 13, 2007

Filler Year

One of the inevitable responsibilities of a YAV, which I like and view as a blessing, is to explain what we're doing during this year to multiple people almost every day. This is a wonderful opportunity because it allows us to share our experiences and to expose people to a different model of Christian life; a model that is becoming more popular and that is probably different from what most people have seen before. I have noticed a common reaction from people when we tell them about this year of volunteering and have thought about it a lot: "Oh, so you're doing this as a filler year before you get a real job."

In one sense, yes, most of us are here to help us in discerning callings and vocations, but isn't that a life-long process? Personally I had options other than doing the YAV year. It could have been very possible for me to stay with my internship at the forensics lab and to move into a full time position eventually, which is a wonderful, coveted job. So maybe the best way to express my thoughts about this common reaction is to say that this is not a filler year, it's a vital part of my career. I'm not putting real life on hold for a year; this is real life. I'm grateful for this reaction to my description of what I'm doing this year, because it has led me to that realization.

In other news, things have been going really well recently. I've been feeling great about the chemistry of our house and of my co-workers at CHRPA. I will soon be a quadzilla from the twenty mile round trip to and from work. We helped a 93 year old woman the other day by setting up an Easy-Lift chair in her living room and her gratitude was priceless. She thought it was such a beautiful chair. This woman is amazing because she is 93 and as she puts it, "I live alone, I cook my own meals, do my own dishes, and I like it!" Last night we went to the Tucson Meet Yourself Festival downtown. I couldn't believe how many food tents from other countries were set up. Never before have I eaten gyros, baklava, fry bread, churros, peach cobbler, and fried rice with egg rolls from Laos in the same meal. As good as it was, it felt like WWIII was happening in my stomach at 3 am this morning. We're going back tonight, but I'll be a bit more conservative about the food selection and will get some pictures for my web album.

On a more serious note please keep Brenna from the track team, InterVarsity and the Fellowship of Christian Athletes at William and Mary in your prayers, because she was in a bad car wreck and is in serious to critical condition at the hospital.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

WWIII in the stomach... any sort of gastrointestinal comments are exactly what I expect from this blog... niiice.

BTW, Ryan stevens did awesome in his ironman today...